Which undergraduate degree should I choose?


As a professional body we are unable to recommend specific degree courses. There are numerous websites that can help you choose your university and course, but the final decision is up to you.

The National Student Survey provides valuable information for prospective students, and help universities and colleges to improve the education that they provide. For more details on the survey, visit the Unistats website.

However, to keep your options open we strongly recommend that you take an accredited psychology degree that gives you eligibility for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC).

This is the case even if you have no plans at the moment to become a qualified psychologist or are not sure what you want to do later.

GBC is required to gain entrance to Society accredited postgraduate courses and training programmes that lead to becoming a Chartered Psychologist.


If your degree course is modular, it may be necessary to choose certain modules to qualify for GBC. So check with the course organisers to ensure that your choices will lead to an accredited psychology degree.

Visit the UCAS website for further details about applying to universities.

If your undergraduate degree course is not accredited by the Society, you can still obtain eligibility for GBC by completing an accredited one year full-time or two year part-time conversion course (which will be an MSc, MA, MEd or Diploma).