Where do health psychologists work?


Health psychologists are employed in a number of settings, such as hospitals and community health settings, health research units, local authorities, public health departments and university departments. Consultancy companies may also employ health psychologists to provide expertise such as training, research or intervention skills.

They may deal with problems identified by health care agencies (including NHS Trusts and health authorities) or by patients themselves.

This is in addition to working alongside other medical professionals such as GP’s, nurses, dieticians, surgeons and rehabilitation therapists. Health psychologists may also deal with organisations and employees outside the health care system.

In universities, Health Psychologists are employed in lecturing, supervision and research roles in a range of departments including; Psychology, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry and Health Services Research


Health psychologists may not necessarily stay with the same type of employer. An individual may move from a university to applied practice, and vice versa. There may also be joint appointments between universities and health services or units. Some health psychologists may also take on consultancy work, either for an employer, or on a self-employed basis.

Regardless of setting, all members of the Society should follow the guidance within the Society’s Code of Ethics and Conduct, (and if they are HCPC registered then they are bound by the policies of the HCPC), and should ensure they have access to adequate supervision and professional indemnity insurance.