What type of work experience do I need?


The universities offering the accredited Masters in Health Psychology will decide upon the type and nature of experience, if required.

First you should identify the courses you are interested in and then approach the course tutors directly to see if they can provide you with a profile of the type of experience a successful applicant will have gained.

Professional Doctorates will generally require you to have access to suitable opportunities for placements, and some courses will require you to have these arranged before you enrol.

NHS-funded Stage 2 training places may require you to have a number of years experience working in relevant areas such as working with people with physical health problems, supporting people to make lifestyle changes, population-based interventions, or undertaking research and evaluation.


Work experience can be from either paid or voluntary roles, and may come from a variety of settings including hospitals, pharmacies, and community care settings. Relevant experience could include contact with patients, an understanding of healthcare professions and providers, health service evaluation or training staff. Other skills such as time management, communication and knowledge of research methodology are also invaluable for postgraduate study. It is also worth considering the type of work you might want to do after you have qualified, and look for relevant work experience that will support you with this goal.

If you are interested in volunteering, the following websites may help:

Some psychologists may be willing for trainees to shadow them. You can contact local psychologists by searching the Society’s directory of Chartered Psychologists.

Students and trainees should receive supervision from an appropriately experienced qualified Health Psychologist, either in their place of employment or through their training course. If this is not available, students should seek appropriate supervision through the Division of Health Psychology.