How much will I get paid?


In the NHS, all applied Psychologists are employed on the same grades. A newly qualified Health Psychologist enters the NHS at band 7. Progression to band 8a should occur a few years after qualification.

Progression through the NHS grades is typically achieved through being appointed to new roles. Band 8b roles should start to provide you with more opportunities to develop your skills to become a Consultant level Health Psychologist, which is typically after 6 or more years of practice.

Posts go up to band 9 for Heads of Psychology Services, with bands 8c and 8d representing Consultant Health Psychologist levels.

The British Psychological Society has a National Assessor Scheme, which supports organisations to interview and decide when a Psychologist has the skills and experience to achieve Consultant level of practice. Details of the most recent salary scales can be found on the NHS Careers website.


Research and lecturer contracts are frequently paid on University Academic and Related Staff Scales. Details of typical salary scales can be found on the University and College Union website.