How do I become one?


To become a Chartered Member of the Society through the educational psychology training route, you will need the following qualifications:

  1. Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). This is achieved by completing a Society accredited degree or conversion course
  2. A Society accredited Doctorate in Educational Psychology  or, for Scotland only, an accredited masters course in Educational Psychology followed by the Qualification in Educational Psychology (Scotland) (Stage 2)


Applications for the Doctorate courses in England are made through the Association of Educational Psychologists (AEP).

The Unviersity of Cardiff and Queens University Belfast operate their own admissions process. Please contact the relevant institution for more information.


In order to use the title Educational Psychologist, you will need to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).


This will involve completing a Doctorate in Educational Psychology (or equivalent) that has been approved by the HCPC.

Contact the HCPC for more information on the entry requirements for their register.