What type of work experience do I need?


The most sought after experience by clinical courses is that of 'assistant psychologist' or 'research assistant'. You will find that some courses lay down more specific requirements or give advice on how to go about gaining experience.

You might also want to contact the Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology.

Their handbook gives information about what sort of work experience is desirable for each course.

Please be aware that competition for assistant psychologist positions is also fierce. It is important to think about gaining relevant work experience as soon as you decide this is your preferred career path.

Voluntary experience and related paid positions such as nursing assistant, social worker, care assistant or other opportunities in relevant settings will all help to build your skills and understanding of the profession.