Additional information

What to do with a 2:2?

Admissions tutors will not normally accept graduates with a 2:2 unless they have achieved some higher qualification too. Any psychology Masters degree would be relevant: the main thing is that the MSc demonstrates applied research ability - a taught MSc would be less relevant unless there is a heavy emphasis on research methods.

Courses are looking for evidence that the person has the required academic and research ability. Usually this means an MSc or MPhil in which the candidate has successfully completed an applied research project. Contact the universities directly for more specific information on their entry criteria.

What funding is available?

Course organisers are usually best placed to give advice on funding. We don’t offer any student bursaries, but do have a Funding Opportunities Database giving details of funding at both postgraduate and post-doctorate levels.


There are also a number of other websites that offer information about postgraduate funding. A few examples are listed below:

What support does the Society offer?

You may want to view our guide on Postgraduate Research in Psychology

We also run a number of awards and grant schemes for postgraduate psychology students.

Postgraduate Study Visit Scheme

This grant provides opportunities for research students to visit another institution to experience new skills and training. 

BPS/Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST) Postgraduate Award 

This award provides opportunities for a postgraduate psychologist to work at POST providing objective briefing material for MPs and Peers on psychological topics.

We also support and facilitate the Psychology Postgraduate Affairs Group (PsyPAG). PsyPAG is a voluntary organisation run by postgraduates for postgraduates.